"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." - 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
Black Father: What does that say, son?
Black Son: They made slavery illegal?
Black Father: No. Not really.
Black Son: But it says slavery shall not exist in the United States.
Black Father: Is that all it says?
Black Son: No.
Black Father: They didn't make slavery go away completely. They made it difficult. They have to first make you a criminal. Then they can make you a slave. Do you see that, son?
Black Son: Yes, dad.
Black Father: So what does that mean to you?
Black Son: .....
Black Father: If you don't let them make you a criminal, then they can't make you a slave. Not physically, anyway.
Black Son: Physically? Is there another kind of slave?
Black Father: That's enough for one day, son.
Black Son: I don't understand, dad.
Black Father: I know, son. I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment