"The whole is other than the sum of
it's parts." - Kurt
Koffka
The often-misquoted phrase above is a
Gestalt concept. Gestalt is German and could be translated as “to take
shape.” Koffka was referring to the fact that the human mind perceives
everything within a context. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Every person, event,
or idea is perceived within a context of everything around it, before it, and
similar to it. The whole is completely independent of the parts, meaning
that when put into context, things take on an entirely new meaning to us than
the individual parts might imply on their own. When two people experience the
same phenomena totally differently, I think of this. Context changes
perception, and perception is everything. "The whole is other than the sum
of it's parts."
In the days following the presidential
election, I found myself studying people from an objective psychological
perspective. I have found it interesting that people can perceive our
next president in such drastically different ways. Half of America views
him as a blatantly racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, fear monger. Let’s
call these folks Group A. The other half of America sees him as a loud talking,
brazenly honest, no-nonsense, business mogul who they hope will clean up
America. Let’s call them Group 7. (Yes. Group 7. Calling
them Group B would imply a level of similarity that isn’t there. Anyway…)
To group A, members of Group 7 appear to be racist. They must be. After
all, if you want to be led by a racist, you must, at the very least, be okay
with racists. That kind of makes you racist. This is the view
from group A. But, as I observe the interactions between group A and
group 7, it occurred to me that it may not be that simple. As I watched
the two groups interact, something strange was happening. Signals were
getting crossed. Members of Group 7 were becoming outraged at the very
idea that they might be racist or sexist or any of those things. They
were offended at the very implication.
Being the scientist that I am, I sought
some new data. I endeavored to engage a few trusted friends who I knew to
be members of Group 7. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I was, until
recently, a card-carrying member of group A. I renounced my membership
and am currently unattached.) I inquired about their views on the things
Trump said and did. My inquiries would always start with a simple
question: Do you have a problem with the hateful language that Trump
uses? Invariably, they said they saw none of the racism, sexism, xenophobia,
and homophobia that I spoke of. Still fascinated, I dug deeper.
With one particular friend, I offered some concrete examples. What
I found was exactly what Koffka said. When my Group 7 friend heard Trump
talking about cleaning up the Black community using “law and order,” he didn’t
hear references to George Wallace and Richard Nixon. He didn’t think
about the blatantly racist policies that disproportionately impacted and
criminalized Black communities and Black people under officials who had used
this language in the past. When I asked, he acknowledged that he didn’t hear
these things, because they don’t impact him directly. The historical
context of this language was lost on him. Thus, he was able to ignore certain
things. Having ignored the history, he was able to hear Trumps words at
face value. And, at face value, who doesn’t like law and order? Who
would argue against that?
On the issue of registering or keeping
out Muslims, my Group 7 friend saw no issue. He was not touched by the
Japanese internment camps or the Jewish holocaust, so the history of
registering people based on affiliation with a religious group or ethnicity was
not sensitive to him. To him, Trump was simply attempting to keep us
safe. My friend would never be the one asked to register, so the details,
logistics, and history of such an idea never entered his mind.
When I asked my friend for his views on
Trumps wall, built to keep out the “bad” Mexicans, I once again found that
context is everything. To my friend, the idea of keeping bad people out
of America was fundamentally sound. Why would anyone argue against
keeping bad people out? Who likes bad people?! Because my friend
would never have to worry about being misidentified as a bad person, the
implication that we needed a wall to deter the bad Mexicans didn’t sound scary
at all. I mean, if differentiating the “good ones” from the “bad ones” is
that easy, why not build a wall to keep the bad ones out?
Hearing me explain the historical references
and possible problems with these ideas, my friend was able to understand, on an
academic level, why someone could be concerned. Still, there was no
emotional or tangible connection to this concern. It inspired
interest. It did not inspire fear. There was no outrage.
Because, even when the dots were all connected for him, it did not change the
fact that none of this would actually impact my friend in ways that he could
foresee. For him, Trump is not a problem.
In talking to, and really listening to,
friends who support Trump, I have learned that, by nature and virtue of the
fact that they are not intimately connected to the oppression that Trump is
hinting at, many people simply do not catch the hints. When people refer
to the hateful and inflammatory language that Trump uses, many people simply
have no idea what they are talking about. Like two people speaking to
each other in different languages, these two groups talk at each
other. Not much is heard. Even less is understood. It’s
not that all Trump supporters are racist. I don’t believe that to be true
at all. Some, undoubtedly, are. But, I believe the issue is that some people
are so insulated against oppression that vague references to it have absolutely
no meaning to them. Someone can be speaking in racially charged “dog
whistle” language, and certain people will think nothing of it. Just like
a dog whistle, it can only be heard by those for whom it is meant. For
some, though, life experience creates a different context in which to hear this
language. They are connected to a history that provides another part to
the gestalt.
Whether you are in Group A or Group 7,
I’m betting you have been wondering how it is that the other side sees things
the way they do. Next time you think this, remember what Koffka
said. “The whole is other than the sum of it’s parts.”
I think the above analysis is correct and causes groups in conflict to talk past each other. I would add Group III, Black Lives Matter, talking about white privilege and institutional racism. Not only is Group 7 left scratching their collective heads about the meaning of such terms but also group A.
ReplyDeleteYes! You are right. There is a third group. That select few who are hyper-aware of these issues of oppression leave both Group A and Group 7 confused.
ReplyDeleteIn August I wrote the following essay, which is on my blog and sent it to the OR. "WHITE PRIVILEGE SHAPES OUR VIEWS ON BLACK LIVES MATTER" It was never published and I am fairly sure the opinion editors had no idea what I was talking about, or did not think the readership would get it.
ReplyDelete