Because I'm always talking about what the government has done/is doing to Black folks, someone asked me what I would do if I were president. I thought I'd share my answer.
If I were elected today, I'd establish free college education for all people of African slave decent. I would also limit welfare and replace that subsidy with free college or trade school for impoverished people. Cap it at 5 years of state college. I would amend the 13th amendment, finally abolishing slavery. I would immediately make private prisons illegal. I would decriminalize Black life. (How so? Read on.) Legalize marijuana. Drastically reduce jail terms for non-violent crime. Eliminate the 3 strike rule. Criminalize policing and sentencing disproportionately based on race. Like, harsh sentences for any police officer or judge found to have been consistently using bias in their stops, use of force, and sentencing. Re-write welfare laws, child support laws, and public housing regulations that incentivize the alienation of fathers. Re-instate voting rights for felons. Allow them to get federal and state financial aid as well. Get rid of the electoral college. Make public education funding county or state wide, rather than by district. Create homeownership programs for minorities. Criminalize unfair housing, lending, and hiring practices. Create a diversity task force charged with enforcing all of the above with an iron fist. Under my administration, if you want to discriminate against a minority, it better be rich white heterosexual males. Otherwise, you'll be looking at prison time.
I would also outlaw large donors or corporate donors in political campaign fundraising. Put someone smarter than me on the task of actually achieving universal healthcare. Create term limits in congress. Remove every tax break for the wealthy in favor of a simple tax code that taxes people at a reasonable rate and leaves them no way to get out of it. Drastically reduce defense spending. Eliminate foreign aid. Under my administration, America would mind it's doggone business. Spend obscene amounts of money on education. Help the elderly. Take care of vets. Put serious money into mental health. Reduce fossil fuel use. Equal pay for women and marriage equality both be reality. Every. Period.
There is plenty more to do, but this would be my start.
For the record, I don't wanna be president. I wouldn't rule out a run for congress though.
No comments:
Post a Comment